Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Guantanamo Bay 9/11 co-conspirators sketches



I'm here in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba for the week, to sketch at the commissions. The high-security court has us in a back room behind three layers of thick glass and I have to stand in order to see, balancing the board on a window ledge and chair, with my pastels sitting on top of the paper, moving it as I drew. That explains the awkward holes and drawings.. or tries to. As it turned out, the 3 days we were to be in court with Khalid Sheik Mohammad et al, with victims' families in attendance for the first time ever became only a day in court. I had intended to do a much more in-depth series of portraits of the accused; but reserved the first day to show the families in attendance. The families in my sketches were willing to be drawn and had brought photos of other victims to represent those who could not attend. The next case up is Omar Khadr this coming Friday.

No comments: